Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sewing FAILS and Lessons Learned

I've been busy trying to get a bunch of projects done. But unfortunately I've had a few FAILS along the way. 


1: While trying to work with organza material to make a sash for my daughters flower girl dress I screwed up a few things. First, I didn't buy enough material. In order to make up for that I had to do some creative sewing/cutting. I thought I had it ALL figured out. Then I cut it too short. Twice. So that project got scrapped. Instead I'll be heading out to the store where we got the dress tonight and buying a new sash...all the while spending more money when I previously thought "Oh I can totally do that myself and for WAY cheaper" Hahaha... Oh well, sometimes you can and sometimes you can't.


2: While sewing some curtain valances for my daughters room I messed up the following: I cut the material the wrong way :( chalk it up to late night and not paying much attention. So I had to improvise and sew 2 pieces together. All in all, not too big of a mistake. THEN When putting the 3 materials together I did it in the wrong order. It looked off, so I scrapped those and tried again. When I was getting ready to put the tabs on the top I noticed just how see through the material is. So I'll be making a trip to the fabric store to get extra fabric to sew behind it as a liner. 


3: Whilst sewing a TOP SECRET project the other night I had my very first Broken Needle on my sewing machine :( It was my own fault for not paying attention and changing the setting before starting. The needle went down just to crash onto the top of my 1/4 inch foot and make a CRAZY sounding noise. But these things happen right? Luckily I had an extra, switched it out and kept on going. 


4: After what I thought was careful measurement of exactly how much fabric I needed to do a border and backing for a quilt, I came up 3 inches short. Overall not too big of a deal I just cut from the scrap to get the extra 3 inches that will inevitably be cut off anyways. but still, ANNOYING.


Overall, here are a few things I've learned:
-We all mess up now and again. Nobody No reason to quit. 
-Don't try to sew when you're grouchy and 7 months pregnant and its 11:00 at night. It's a bad combination and you do stupid things.
-Make sure you know the fabric your working with. Organza is difficult. And really, cotton for a curtain valance...silly me... 
-There's almost always a way to fix it. If you can't figure it out, someone else will know how! 
-The whole "Measure Twice, Cut Once" proverb couldn't be more true for sewing. Seriously, just measure it again and make sure you did it right...Sometimes the proverb could be changed to "Measure Three times, Cut Once" just for people like me who don't learn from prior sewing mistakes :)
-Be thankful for the people in your life who are willing to help when you screw up crafty things (or when you screw up anything else for that matter). It was a hard week to have sewing problems and not be able to call my mom for help. Good thing I've got some great friends and great "Aunts" who are ever so crafty and a great hubby to come over and check on me after hearing a few bombs drop and making me just go to bed :)


Any sewing fails you've had that taught you something valuable? I'd love to hear it! 


PS: can't WAIT to show you the super secret project. It's so cute!! but so late! The baby its for is already 3 weeks old! Doh! 

No comments:

Post a Comment